Sunday 27 July 2014

Trust and trial

I've been asked to interview one of the performers appearing at the Write on the Fringe Festival.
What a wonderful opportunity, I first thought. And an honour. I was chuffed actually.

And then my old companions fear and doubt paid me a visit. They tried to talk me out of  it.  You don't know how to interview people, they said to me. You're not a journalist. You don't know how to write anything other than reflective wisdom-type creative non-fiction...about yourself!

I did my best to ignore them and decided the best thing to do was to ask for help...after all, I have a dear friend who does this sort of stuff for a living - he'd be happy to help me out.

Yesterday after deciding I would call him, I had a change of heart - something in me said  No...just wait. Intrigued, and for once, happy to be patient, I followed this guidance and this morning I know why.

This morning I felt compelled to look at my interviewee's web page again, to get a bit more of a feel for who she is and what she does.  What became apparent was the need in me to connect. And I did - with her inspiration, her purpose, her creativity. And then it came to me - the hook I needed - my way in to the piece that I would endeavour to write.

This wouldn't have happened if I'd sought the help of my writer friend. I'd have missed the real opportunity here - to get past the doubt and the fear and to trust that I knew exactly what I needed to do. Cos it's not about being the best journalist, or doing it the way everyone else does it - it's about finding your own way. Learning to trust. Learning by trial.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you Gena. I highly recommend this approach. Be still, don't panic, don't give the negative voices too much leeway, and give yourself permission. We're all just people, after all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thank you Sue! Your encouraging and understanding reply means a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete