Wednesday 13 August 2014

Terror Incognita

I didn't want to wear it.
I wasn't even sure I wanted to be there.

Yes I was keen to go to the Bendigo Writers Festival, but I was regretting my decision to be a Writer in Action (WiAer). I was so used to wallflowering and living in my zone of comfort that the thought of meeting new people had my inner in terror.

Day 1 of donning the designated t-shirt had me dooming and gloomy. I can't believe we have to wear this every day. And tonight!

Being winter in Bendigo I was able to hide under a coat and scarf until safely into my first session. I looked for a seat, and there were two of my fellow WiAers, easily identified due to their team t-shirts. I suddenly felt less conflicted - more calm.

Next stop was the Uni to see and hear the beautiful Raimond Gaita. Fear and worry again filled my mind and throat - I had no idea where to go or who would be there. Instant comfort came when I found the lecture room and saw a few more of my WiA colleagues in their t-shirts. Conversation and camaraderie were building and a little more calm was instilled within.

Later that afternoon I made a quick stop at home - I wanted to refresh before heading out to the Write on The Fringe events which would be followed by Blanche's interview and the official opening. Again, I was perplexed by the t-shirt. I put it on and shook my head. No. It can't stay like this.

That morning I had met a couple of classmates who had made adjustments to suit. If they can, I can, I thought!

Scissors in hand and several fittings later - reconciliation. My t-shirt and I were now in harmony and from that moment on I relaxed into my choice to be a WiA student. In fact I wore that shirt with pride. Days 2 and 3 even had me being a little creative about what I wore with it.

Dressing on our final day together as WiAers I felt a little sad.  The 'bubble' I had been in for five days was about to burst. And I didn't want it to. My initial reluctance had been transformed - I had embraced my status as a WiAer and I didn't want it to end.

I put it on one last time for a group photo before folding it into my bag with reverence. This t-shirt had done more than identify me as a WiAer... but that's another post!

1 comment: