Tuesday 19 August 2014

There's something about Raimond


Profound. Tender. Moving.

Just three words that come to mind when I think about the talk Raimond Gaita gave at Latrobe Uni on Friday the 8th of August.

In preparation for his talk I borrowed his book Romulus, My Father from the library on the Tuesday night. I had seen the film years ago when it was first released, so I knew a little of the story, but in no way did it prepare me for how deeply affected I'd be from reading it.

I didn't want to put it down, but of course life went on so I managed to read it in queues, waiting for kids and between appointments and errands. Thursday lunch time in a quiet cafe in View St, I came to its end - sadly. And Thursday night I re-watched the film. Sigh.

Tears stung my eyes several times throughout both the reading and the viewing. I was in awe of this man who could not only withstand such hardship and tragedy, but who could go on to become a brilliant philosopher and successful writer. I could hardly wait to hear him speak the next day.

Friday came and I was still feeling the effects of my immersion in Raimond Gaita's childhood, so much so that all I wanted to do when I saw him was go up and hug him!

You'll be relieved to know I didn't, but I did introduce myself after his talk -which was captivating. You could've heard a pin drop. Time stood still. His gentle wise voice treating us to a reading before talking to us of love, truth, beauty, leadership and inspiration.


By the end of it, I was completely enamoured of him ; my brief but personal encounter consisting of a photo and some words stumbling out of my mouth about my impending research masters...on love and forgiveness.

His positive response to this and well wishes meant the world to me - it felt like a wonderful affirmation that what I was embarking on was indeed a worthy topic.

 I thanked him as graciously as I could given my heightened emotional state and then fled the scene, just in time for the dam to burst! There was definitely something about Raimond...






No comments:

Post a Comment