Tuesday 19 August 2014

The last post

Well, I've arrived. This is it. My final post for this blog.

It seems fitting to finish with closure in mind, which for me, naturally initiates reflection.

I had my reservations about doing this WiA subject. I wanted to be part of a group - to get a sense of belonging, to meet new people and connect with other wanna-be writers. I wanted to soak up the atmosphere of  the BWF and rub shoulders with the super-stars of the literary world. I wanted my mind to be free to learn and dream and plan and create without being tied to purpose and outcome.

I wanted it all, but I didn't want to do the work.

But ten posts in and I have loved it. 'The work' that I was dreading hasn't felt like work at all.  I have enjoyed going through my notes, reminiscing about what I heard from the famous and not so famous, searching for stand-out themes, ideas and quotes to kick-start my blog posts. And then letting the mysterious happen, that is creativity - each sentence magically appearing on the screen in front of me as I type the words that come.

The whole experience has been so timely for me. Dubious about my desire and ability to write, I enrolled in this subject with some hesitation, but it has given me a much-needed injection of faith. I feel that I'm on the right path - I'm doing what I love and have longed to do for years...write.

One key moment that inspired a letting go of sorts, was hearing Raimond Gaita say that he's not a writer - he just writes some words... some times. So humble.

I definitely don't see myself as a writer. Even after having had my work published and sold for a number of years, I don't feel comfortable with the classification of 'writer'. I see myself as someone who has something to say - to share. And writing just happens to be the best fit for me.

 I am fascinated by the human condition and if I can explore, understand, and learn from the classroom of life and pass it on in the hope that it helps others, through writing some words some times, then I will have done my job.

The end.

And also the beginning.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you took the plunge, headfirst into this subject Gena. Not only is this the last post, it's also the first past the post! Love the pic of your desk too - I wish mine was so neat and colouful.

    ReplyDelete